Monday, September 28, 2015

Magnetized weapon arms, plus green stuff (part 1)

Magnetized Plague Marines

Inspired by my previous successful venture, I decided to finish magnetizing my Plague Marines. I actually drilled the holes in some time ago, before my magnets even arrived. Time to finish the job.
Since these guys are made of metal, I decided to go for 3mm magnets in the body and 2mm in the arm. Here's what I got to:



And then the magnets in place:
After all this was done, I realized that, due to a combination of magnet placing and arm shape, one of these guys will be holding his bolter towards the ground. The issues that compound to this problem are: arm weight; and that the magnet in the body sticks out a bit, so that the shoulder pad doesn't get caught on the upper lip of the shoulder. Compare the champion and  the guy on the left:


Green stuffing some holes


I don't know what I was thinking back when I drilled the holes. You see, a Plague Marine squad can have 2 special weapons and then a ranged and/or melee weapon on the champion. So I only put in the above magnets. However, I drilled an awful lot of holes:

So, I need to fill in those holes - time to get out the green stuff.
Note. If the below pictures seem rushed, that's because they are. I tried to get everything in place before the green stuff solidified.

This is my green stuffing workbench. I use a broken ceramic tile (though any flat surface would do) to knead the stuff. I sprinkled it with water so that the green stuff wouldn't stick to it.
I learned from last time that you shouldn't mix up a large quantity, as it just dries out before you can put it to use. So I just cut off small pieces with my hobby knife (make sure to dip the blade into water before) and kneaded them together as needed. With a cup of water nearby, I can make sure that my fingers are always wet and won't stick.

Use a large enough piece to fill in the holes both in the body and the arm.

Push the arm in place and carry on. As long you don't move it, it will solidify like that.
I realized that this batch of green stuff takes more time to solidify due to the bigger amount of yellow part. I relaxed and no longer rushed the process. Here I'm sticking on both arms at once.
Here's the whole squad, green stuff-ed and magnetized.

A close-up. I think the putty won't be at all visible after painting.
One arm magnetized, one green stuff-ed.
Magnetized Plague Marines.


I'll do a full article just on the Plague Marines later on - for now, let's get on to more magnetizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment