Friday, February 10, 2017

Skirmisher movement trays for display

Introduction


With the resurrection of Warhammer Fantasy, I realized that my movement trays are lacking in number and diversity. I have also created more regular trays (5x2, 6x2, 6x4 etc), but those aren't interesting. Time to document something new: movement trays for skirmishers.

At first, it was logical to glue magnetized templates to wooden plates and be done with it. Later, the realization came that they aren't actually very usable on the battlefield, as the skirmishers need to gather ranks when fighting. So I decided to transition them to display trays by adding terrain to the gaps.

Display trays for 40mm bases


Nurglings and Screamers use 40mm bases and are skirmishers.


Add hills for diversity using home-made putty:


Grassy trays for Nurglings


Same procedure as for the base of the Nurglings. Start with a brown basecoat.


Add grass.


Add blue moss.


Finished!


Desert trays for Screamers


Same procedure as for the base of the Screamers. I actually had leftover sand mix, so I just poured it over the gaps.


Finished!


Display trays for 25mm bases


A bit more work is needed to figure out the placement when the skirmishers are in two ranks.




Add hills for diversity using home-made putty:


As this tray was intended for the Furies, I decided to go with the rugged wasteland look. Almost the same technique I used for the miniatures:

Cork and rocks.



Prime in black.


Reddish brown basecoat.


Heavy brown drybrush.


Black wash in the recesses.


Overall Agrax Earthshade wash.


Brown drybrush instead of edge highlight. No way I'm edge highlighting all that!


Bonewhite edge highlight on only the highest edges.


Finished!



 




No comments:

Post a Comment