Thursday, July 13, 2017

Sculpting a bat familiar

The warlock of my DnD party got his hands on the Find Familiar spell, and promptly summoned a bat to do some scouting for him. I decided to sculpt an appropriate looking "miniature" for the next session.

I forgot to take in progress pictures. But first I created the body as a tear-drop shape, then flattened it a bit. I created the two arms separately (just roll thin sticks, then bend into shape). When dry and hardened, I glued them together with super glue.


Flatten a bit of green stuff between your finger and stick it on between the arms and body for the wing membrane. This is fairly icky. Make sure your fingers are wet. I still managed to un-stuck the wings a couple of times, hence the folding near the arms.


I created the head in two parts. First I created a rough triangular shape. Then after it dried, I added two minuscule ears.


When that dried too, I placed a tiny drop of green stuff on the body to serve as a neck joint, and pressed in the head.


It's a bit rough, as can be seen from below. I tried to smooth it out as well as I could with the hobby knife.




As with the mage hands, I prepared a custom base.


I glued on the bat with a bit more green stuff, as the belly wasn't exactly flat.



No comments:

Post a Comment