Monday, January 15, 2018

Painting Brimstone Horrors (traditional flames, using wet blending)

Introduction


Second set of 5.



Painting


Start with 2 coats of Sun Yellow on a white primer for a consistent basecoat.


Blend Sun Yellow (from the bottom) into Bloody Red (from the top).


Dilute Bloody Red with medium to glaze the mouths.



I went overboard with the red, so I highlighted the lower parts with Fluorescent Yellow to reestablish the colors. As before, I also glazed over with Lamenters Yellow.


To finish off the models, prepare the eyes with white primer.


Then paint with Electric Blue.


Basing


Prepare as before.


And again, sandy bases. However, the paintjob does not suffice to tell the squads apart, so I added blue crystals to the bases.


It took some time to sink in (I even had the "finished" photos ready) that the crystals do not actually look their part. They are not shiny, nor transparent. More like opaque slabs of plastic than anything. I was ready to rip them off in disappointment (especially since I bought a couple packs of them, different colors and all that). But then my wonderful wife dropped the bombshell: "Have you tried a gloss varnish on them?"

Finished!









No comments:

Post a Comment