Thursday, February 8, 2018

Painting Blue Horrors (dark)

Introduction


The first two squads came out pretty light, even with all the Druchii Violet applied on the second group. I went for something darker, for more contrast.





Painting the skin


Basecoat Night Blue (which is actually more like a dark, dark purple). 
Previous squads all had lighter faces and darker extremities. Reverse that trend by blending Ultramarine Blue into the second (or was it third?) coat of Night Blue, from the ends up.


The blend wasn't very visible from a distance, so I also did edge highlighting with Ultramarine Blue.


Still to dark overall, so I decided on a two-step drybrush. First, mix 1:1 Ultramarine Blue and Electric Blue.


Follow up with a lighter and more concentrated drybrush of Electric Blue. I guess I could have skipped step 1, but this is a very light color compared to the base tone, and the jump in contrast would have been too high.


... and it was still too high a contrast. So I applied the tactical nuke of blue paint schemes: Guilliman Blue glaze. This meshes the colors together very well, smoothing out the rough edges of the drybrush.


Painting other details


Tongues, as before.


... and I got really lazy taking pictures at this point. Just working away, listening to music, watching batreps, painting Blue Horrors.


Finished!







No comments:

Post a Comment